August 12, 2026

Grief and Practicality Can Coexist

Did you know I can be sad and practical at the same time? I'm pretty efficient that way.

For some reason, people seem to believe that if you're grieving, you shouldn't be thinking about anything else. As if making plans, asking questions, or handling responsibilities somehow means you aren't hurting enough. But that has never made sense to me.

Life doesn't stop because your heart is breaking. There are still decisions to make and things that need your attention. Taking care of them doesn't lessen your love or mean you're ready to let go. It simply means the world keeps turning, whether we're ready for it or not.

I think people underestimate our ability to carry more than one emotion at a time. I can be heartbroken and still think ahead. I can be overwhelmed and still be responsible. I can miss someone with every part of me while doing what needs to be done.

The human heart has room for all of it. We can cry while making plans. We can smile at a memory and ache with loss in the very same moment. We can prepare for tomorrow without wanting today to end.

Two things can be true at the same time. Grief doesn't erase responsibility, and practicality doesn't diminish love. Sometimes it's simply another way we care for the people and the things that matter most, even while we're learning how to live with their absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment