September 9, 2026

Well Behaved People Don’t Make It Into History Books

I’ve been a rebel pretty much since birth. One of my first full sentences was “Baby do it!” That probably should’ve been everyone’s warning. At five, I’d bite my friend Patricks’ fingers when he stuck them through the fence. When we went camping, I made my older siblings or cousins carry me from the shoreline because I didn’t want my feet muddy. 

Independent? Absolutely.

Spoiled? Possibly.

As a teenager, I was known to sneak my parents’ car out. As an adult, I divorced two men who thought they were going to control me. Boy... were THEY wrong!  They needed a weaker female and I wasn't it.

I hate being bossed around, I hate procrastinating, and I REALLY hate reading instructions. I’ve always believed if I set my mind to something, I can figure it out. Sometimes the hard way, but I’ll figure it out.

That stubbornness has gotten me into trouble, many times.... but it’s also gotten me pretty far. I raised kids, built a business, survived hard things, started over more than once, and made plenty of mistakes along the way.

At 61, I’m still basically that little girl saying, “Baby do it!”

When my mother worked she used to tell "Raven stories" and he friends even asked to hear one if they were having a bad day.  I guess I made their problems look smaller somehow! lol 

I doubt I’ll make it into an actual history book, but someday when my family tells stories about me, I hope they start with:

“Oh Lord… let me tell you what Raven did.”  

Because well behaved people don’t make it into history books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment