July 19, 2012

Where is the Limit?

This is a true statement.  But when does reality kick in.  You want your children to succeed in all that they try.  In all that they want to do,  dream to do, ATTEMPT to do... but at some point it has nothing to do with ability, education or self-esteem... but with reality. 
How do you allow anyone that you love to place themselves on a destructive path just for the sake of a dream.  How do you allow anyone you love to make choices that will end with regret and with discontentment.  As a parent, I was always my kids biggest fan.  I wanted my children to be in everything and to to enjoy it all.  I remember telling my oldest son that his life couldnt' be all about football and sports, so I made him (and yes I use the word MADE correctly) be in a play.  I also bought him a quitar and encourage music.  Point is, I didn't want my kids to put it all in one basket!  Self Esteem is important, but so is teaching reality.  So is teaching them that they can do anything they want, but because of powers beyond their control they might not achieve those goals and need to have a back up plan.... or make new goals. 
I am reminded of all the awards that kids get in sports today.  Everyone gets an award cause no one needs to feel left out. Am I wrong in thinking that we as parents need to keep it real so our kids aren't looking at thier future like it is owed to them?  I worry about that.